[vox] [fwd] March 2010 Newsletter [from Apress]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 3 12:12:14 PST 2010

----- Forwarded message from Apress -----

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:54:26 -0800
From: "Apress"
Subject: March 2010 Newsletter

*** Apress March 2010 Newsletter ***

In this special 'Global Edition' of the Apress monthly newsletter,
you'll read coverage of events from far and wide -- from a .NET
User Group in Uganda to an Oracle Database event in the Rockies
to MacWorld in sunny San Francisco. You'll find information on
upcoming conferences, including the SXSW Interactive Festival in
Austin, TX. We also have exciting news regarding a joint venture
with CA Inc., the world's leading independent IT management
software company.

As always, this month sees a diverse, interesting group of new
releases. If you're interested in Android development, you'll
find all the information you need in Beginning Android 2 and Pro
Android 2. If you want to harness the power of social media,
check out Social Networking Spaces. And if .NET is your thing,
Pro WPF in C# 2010 covers WPF from the ground up, including new
features found in .NET 4.0.

***

>From Facebook to Twitter and everything in between

Social Networking Spaces
by Todd Kelsey
eBook Available 3/19, Print Available 3/31
http://apress.com/book/view/1430225963

Social networking is here to stay -- websites like Facebook and
Twitter are increasingly defining our lives and helping to build
our businesses and organizations. Social Networking Spaces by
Todd Kelsey helps you understand social networking and harness
the power of this ever-evolving technology.

***

Develop sophisticated apps for Android phones and devices

Beginning Android 2
by Mark L Murphy.
eBook Now Available, Print Available 3/11
http://apress.com/book/view/1430226293

Pro Android 2
by Sayed Hashimi, Satya Komatineni, and Dave MacLean
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430226595

***

CA Press Announcement

CA Inc., the world's leading independent IT management
software company, is proud to announce a new strategic
collaboration with Apress called CA Press. CA Press, the official
publisher of CA retail books, will publish the latest in business
and IT thought leadership. Their first book Under Control
explains the essential challenges of business governance and
helps you build solid governance solutions for your organization
based on lessons learned at CA.

***

Latest Books

    * The Definitive Guide to Jython: Python for the Java
      Platform
    * Learn Cocoa on the Mac
    * Beginning WF: Windows Workflow in .NET 4.0
    * The Definitive Guide to PC-BSD
    * The Business of iPhone App Development: Making and
      Marketing Apps that Succeed

Forthcoming Books

    * DBA Survivor: Become a Rock Star DBA
    * Smart Home Automation with Linux
    * Learn BlackBerry Games Development
    * Hibernate Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
    * The Essential Guide to Flash Games: Building Interactive
      Entertainment with ActionScript

Best-sellers

   1. Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
   2. More iPhone 3 Development: Tackling iPhone SDK 3
   3. Pro Silverlight 3 in C#
   4. Practical Arduino: Cool Projects for Open Source Hardware
   5. Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days

***

Conference News and Notes:

MacWorld 2010 February 9-13

MacWorld 2010, the yearly celebration of everything Mac, was held
at the Moscone Center in downtown San Francisco, February 9-13.
30,000 pre-registrations and a packed show proved that Macworld
is alive and well without the backing of Apple. Apress joined the
MacWorld festivities for the first time with a booth on the expo
floor, displaying our complete line of Mac and iPhone-related
development and consumer titles.

Hundreds of Mac products, apps, and services were on display, but
the buzz centered on the iPad. To peak the Mac devotees' interest
, Macworld held an iPad special event hosted by Jason Snell,
VP/Editorial Director of Mac Publishing. Guy Kawasaki discussed
innovation and revolution in the tech market to a full session,
and a conference highlight was a Q&A with Film Maker Kevin Smith
on his use of the Mac platform. Microsoft also got in on the Mac
action by announcing its Office 2011 plans for the Mac OS X
platform and hinted at an iPad version.

Apress was proud to be one of only two publishers at this
consumer-centric show. Most event attendees had been making the
pilgrimage for years and even decades -- Apress will surely start
their own trend by returning next year.

SXSW March 12-21

SXSW -- the unique convergence of original music, independent films,
and emerging technologies-- will be held in Austin TX, March 12-21.
The SXSW Interactive Festival, the interactive portion of the
event, runs March 12th-16th and brings together are some world's
most creative web developers, designers, bloggers, wireless
innovators, content producers, programmers, widget inventors and
new media entrepreneurs. There will be five days of presentations
and panel discussions, focusing on the future of the industry.
Apress will be at booth #122. We'll be showcasing an eclectic
selection of titles that span from iPhone and Mac programming to
web development and design. We look forward to seeing you there!

***

Build high-quality WPF applications quickly and easily

Pro WPF in C# 2010
Matthew MacDonald.
eBook Available 3/19, Print Available 3/31
http://apress.com/book/view/1430272058

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Highlights from two February User Group meetings:

Uganda .NET User Group

The Uganda .NET User Group held their first meeting of 2010 at
the Infectious Diseases Institute training centre with the
support of Microsoft Kenya. The topic of their first meeting was
".NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010," presented by Malisa Ncube. A
number of experts have already agreed to speak at the next
meeting, including Jake Markhus, who will present
"Using Hibernate," and Ugandan Microsoft MVP Wilson Kutegeka. The
UDNUG is comprised of 12 members and covers a spectrum of .NET
technologies, including application development with Visual
Studio, .NET Framework, Cloud, Web and Data Services.

Rocky Mountain Oracle User Group Training Days February 17-18

Apress and the OakTable Network celebrated the publication of the
book the Expert Oracle Practices by jointly sponsoring a booth at
the Rocky Mountain Oracle User Group's Training Days conference.
More than 800 Oracle Database experts gathered in Denver,
Colorado for what editor Jonathan Gennick feels is one of the
best events going for an Oracle Database professional. It is both
a friendly event and a technically deep event, drawing top
speakers from around the world. The book Expert Oracle Practices
was written by a collaboration of OakTable members, many of whom
where speakers at the event.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what's hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer