[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Mar. 3rd meeting: "Linux, Android, and Open Source in the Mobile Environment" [Mtn View]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Mar 2 10:58:16 PST 2010

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:56:11 -0800
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Mar. 3rd meeting: "Linux, Android,
	and Open Source in the	Mobile Environment"

WHEN:

  Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
     Linux, Android, and Open Source in the Mobile Environment

  PRESENTED BY:
    Alison Chaiken

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
  Mobile operating systems based on Linux range from full
  implementations of GNU/Linux like Intel/Nokia's newly announced MeeGo
  collaboration, to platforms like Palm's WebOS and the Google/Open
  Handset Alliance's Android, which contain little which is familiar to
  Linux users beyond the kernel. In addition, Nokia has open-sourced
  Symbian, which is not based on Linux at all. How "open" and "free" are
  these operating systems, and what challenges and opportunities do they
  present to developers and users? Android is winning the battle for
  market share, but does not have familiar facilities like X11 or even
  most of libc. In response, the Replicant Project has undertaken to
  create a GPLed operating system for the HTC G1 Dream phone.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
      Allison Chaiken[1] is a recovering physicist who has computed
      primarily on Unix since the days of the VAX 11/750. She worked on
      pervasive computing projects at HP Labs, before coming to Stanford
      Linear Accelerator Center to write instrument control and user
      interface software.

      [1] http://www.exerciseforthereader.org/

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer