[vox] things that really suck about C!

Wes Hardaker wjhns156 at hardakers.net
Mon Mar 1 17:04:11 PST 2010

BL> I think if anything, C has been a certain detriment to the field of
BL> computer science!

The detriment to computer science has been in the continuing acceptance
of the C language without the background in assembly to go with it.
The thing about C is that it is intended to still provide full-service
access to memory, etc.  You're handed a loaded gun already nicely aimed
at your foot for you.  You're expected to know how to use the gun.
However, everyone seems to have forgotten how things work internally and
are surprised when you can get away with more than you bargained for.  A
similar thing could be said about much of perl!

Java, Python and other "safety languages" provide a much much better
playground to write bad code in and still feel safe.  Unfortunately,
with such wrapped protection often comes a detriment: speed.  (And yes,
I'm aware that you can write a good implementation of an algorithm in
python that beats a bad implementation in C).
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/