[vox] Linux IRC infection

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 14 13:30:05 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 09:56:24AM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/linux-infection-proves-windows-malware-monopoly-is-over/2206?tag=nl.e539
>
> Altho its abit of an "I told you so" article, it does support my general
> attitude that absolute statements should usually end with the word "yet".
> If I EVER said Linux didnt need to worry, Im sure I added "doesnt need to
> worry, YET"
>
> It also supports my not-completely-trusting of automatic updating

Nah, one has ALWAYS needed to worry.  The article is useless.
It sucks that the malware got into the Gentoo repos (but, based
on what little I understood of the 'update' pasted at the top of
the article), it sounds like it's really a matter of:

(1) I want to install IRC server
(2) I'll get it from trusted source
(3) I'll IGNORE THE SAFEGUARDS to confirm that the copy at the source
    is actually TO BE TRUSTED
(4) OMGWTFPWNED

Note that my opinion here is based soley on skimming the guy's ZDNet
article ("clickbait", as one of the commenters called it ... a kind of
"FUD-for-advertising-dollars"), and the (mostly lame) comments made
by users.

Sent from my computer