[vox] Document Control System

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 1 09:04:44 PDT 2010

On 06/01/2010 08:52 AM, Darth Borehd wrote:
> I need to setup a document control system for a business.
>

>    - It needs to be simple.  These are not technical people.
>    - The documents to be shared are large 1 MB to 1 GB map files.
>    - They are primarily interested in file-locking.  ("This file is being
>    worked on by xxx xxxxx").
>    - Versioning is a minor concern, but not essential.
>    - It must work on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.  Or be just a web page that
>    works on Firefox.
>

> Any suggestions?

Webdav or Samba share configured correctly should work for this and
would be the least confusing way to do it as the files are just in
folders mounted on the end user machine.

The tricky part with Windows is that only Office handles webdav ok, the
OS (at least XP) has terrible support for webdav.

Worst case a locking configured svn would work, but would probably be
too complicated for your users.

Most document management services offer webdav access to their files,
but I haven't seen one that controls locking as part of the DMS (as
opposed to the webdav protocol), so I'd only consider adding the DMS to
get versioning and a web interface.

Alex