[vox] very cool web site

timriley at appahost.com timriley at appahost.com
Fri Jul 30 08:16:43 PDT 2010

It seems like Wolfram is taking their Mathematica product,
see http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematicahomeedition/ ,
and moving some of its features online. So I wouldn't expect
it to work like a Google search engine. WolframAlpha's (the
online service's) prompt says, "Enter what you want to
calculate or know about." Mathematica is performing the
"calculate" part. I suspect the "know about" part is
Wolfram's database of statistics. The algorithm seems
to run what you type through an English parser, then
it queries its database and performs the arithmetic.

I typed in "population of California", and it returned
36.96 million (2009). Then I typed in "GDP of
California", and it returned $1.847 trillion per year.
So far so good. But when I typed in "fraction of california
GDP over world GDP", it didn't work. But give them
time.

<snip>