[vox] [OT] Free: two SGI 1600SW LCD monitors & video cards

Gilbert Coville lugod2008 at gc.org
Wed Jul 28 11:45:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm giving away two SGI 1600SW LCD monitors.  (Actually, there are 3 of
them, but one's LCD is shot and is just for spare parts.)  These monitors
were pretty hot stuff back in their day, but that day was 10 years ago.
Normally, I'd give these away on Davis Freecycle, but these are going to
require a bit more tech savvy than simply plugging them into a VGA or
DVI interface.

Here's some info:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_1600SW

And there's a picture and more info here:
  http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/displays.html

I'm also giving away the special video cards that would drive them.  Both
are the "Number Nine Revolution IV (special version with OpenLDI)" as
referenced in the wikipedia article.  One is PCI, the other is AGP.
Original AGP.  *sigh*

I have some hints on how to set them up for X on linux.  Over the years,
the various X auto configgers could never detect these puppies correctly
and get the mode lines right.  I'll pass on a successful xconfig that I
have used in years past.

I would prefer to give the whole lot to a single person who might be
able to set them up dual-head-style on a legacy computer.  I wouldn't
want to subject the headache of all this on multiple people.  ;-)

Contact me off-list if interested.

Gilbert