[vox] [fwd] Apress July 2010 Newsletter

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Jul 7 12:41:57 PDT 2010

Stripped out some Microsoft-related topics; the rest is
probably general enough for our LUG audience...

----- Forwarded message from Apress <newsletters at apress.com> -----

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:19:11 -0700
From: "Apress" <newsletters at apress.com>
Subject: Apress July 2010 Newsletter
To: root at lugod.org

*** Apress July 2010 Newsletter ***

One thing Mac and Microsoft users had in common in June was
profuse sweating, whether you were standing outside of the
convention center at TechEd in New Orleans or waiting in line for
the iPhone 4 in New York City. But there were rewards for those
who suffered through the heat. TechEd attendees saw the latest
from Microsoft, with buzz circulating around BI and enterprise
technologies like SharePoint 2010 and PowerShell. iPhone 4 owners
had some difficulties calling their friends to brag due to the
infamous reception issue, but you can't complain about the
thinner design, video chat capabilities, and iOS4 improvements
like multitasking and folders. On the agenda for this month is
OSCON, the premier open source convention, returning to Portland,
OR from July 19th to the 23rd. Feel free to stop by the Apress
booth (#510) and flip through our latest open source and Android
books.

***

Latest Books

    * Pro PHP Refactoring
    * SharePoint 2010 as a Development Platform
    * Pro Telerik ASP.NET and Silverlight Controls
    * Pro ASP.NET MVC 2 Framework, Second Edition
    * Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2010

Forthcoming Books

    * Beginning Google Blogger
    * Introducing Silverlight 4
    * Beginning Google Maps API 3
    * Beginning SQL Server Modeling: Model-Driven Application
      Development in SQL Server 2008
    * Beginning iPad Development for iPhone Developers: Mastering
      the iPad SDK

Best-sellers

   1. Pro Android 2
   2. iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners
   3. Beginning Android 2
   4. Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform, Fifth Edition
   5. SharePoint 2010 User's Guide: Learning Microsoft's Business
      Collaboration Platform

***

Conference News and Notes:

OSCON July 19th-23rd

OSCON, the premier open source conference in North America hosted
by O'Reilly, will take place this month, July 19th-23rd in
Portland, Oregon. The past year has witnessed some big changes in
technology, with Cloud computing and mobile services leading the
way. Developers must now adapt to rapidly evolving platforms, and
open source is the key to managing these platforms. OSCON will
feature hundreds of sessions covering open source languages and
platforms such as Python, Java, Ruby, Perl, PHP and JavaScript.
If you're a developer, designer, trainer, programmer, sys admin,
IT manager, hacker, or entrepreneur who is passionate about open
source, stop by booth # 510 in the Expo Hall to see our latest
collection of open source books in electronic and print format.

***

Build advanced robots as you learn programming basics

LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT-G Programming Guide, Second Edition
by James Floyd Kelly.
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430229764

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Philly ALT.NET User Group

The Philly ALT.NET User Group is focused on the craft of software
development and the continuous improvement of the development
skills of its members. Founded in 2007, the group has continued
to grow, approaching a wide variety of topics and technologies as
well as engaging with the more mainstream .NET community to teach
and promote awareness of open source tools, fundamental
programming principles, and things like Test Driven Development
(TDD). Check them out at phillyalt.net!

Capital Area Cloud Computing User Group

Capital Area Cloud Computing User Group serves the technical
community in Washington DC, Virginia, and Maryland. They help
cloud computing users and organizations connect with other
professionals, gain knowledge, exchange information, and learn
new skills. Their goal is to help members succeed and promote
career growth by supplying job postings and networking
opportunities. Each meeting starts with refreshments and pizza
and ends with fun raffles offering books, T-shirts, and other
great prizes. Membership is free. For more information, please
visit: cloud.championwriters.com.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what's hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail info at apress.com with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer