[vox] Further LUGOD sponsorship of Atari Party 2010?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jan 30 13:48:13 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:52:15AM -0800, G Fitzgerald wrote:
> All,
>
> Apologies in advance for what will likely be a lengthy post - but I
> need to explain some regulations.

No problem.  I'm glad you took the time to respond, and nip this
in the bud.  Obviously, my understanding of the tax rules were weak. :)

<snip>
> In addition, by Bill?s own admission, many/most of the
> participants aren?t local, and they?re really not coming for a LUGOD
> event,

The participants (as in the ~10 of us who are actually putting the
event together) include a lot of non-local people.  However, the
majority of _attendees_ are likely going to be from Davis or nearby
(as it was last year).

> I?m not a lawyer or a tax professional, by any stretch. But my
> reading of these requirements says that 1) LUGOD cannot fund this
> event, and 2) LUGOD cannot be the beneficiary of this event, it
> would basically be a fundraiser providing funds from largely outside
> the membership.

Ok, got it. :)  Whew.  Glad this was explained before it got any
further.

> The following must be said: What I?ve written here, I?ve written to
> educate people in the group about our IRS and legal obligations. I
> believe most people in the group are not aware of these regulations,
> and are in NO way intentionally trying to violate them. I realize
> that what I?ve written means Bill will have to either find another
> venue or another way to fund his party, or cancel it, and I?d hate
> to see that happen.

I'db be quite disappointed, but I would, of course, survive. ;)

> It is my hope that people read my comments in that light, and NOT as
> a personal attack on anyone.

I certainly did not read it as such, but thanks for the disclaimer. :)
And thanks, again, for the insight.