[vox] [fwd] Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--January

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jan 28 10:41:10 PST 2010

More from O'Reilly:

----- Forwarded message from Marsee Henon -----

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:02:25 -0800
From: Marsee Henon
Subject: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--January

View this information as HTML in your browser, click here:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfdlb3hb4tv7v0k29a53s3d65fbar8hldcjpnq20

Hi there,

Even though it is storming in Sebastopol, CA this week--it's easy to see
spring is coming. Community events and conferences are coming up
everywhere such as Macworld, Microsoft Mix, PYCon, SCALE, RailsConf,
MySQL Conference & Expo, DevConnections, FOSDEM, MountainWest RubyConf,
and much more. If you're involved in a community event please make sure
we send some books to give away. We can provide print or ebook versions.
Don't forget we now offer 45% off our ebooks on oreilly.com. That
includes Microsoft Press as well as O'Reilly Media titles. Just use the
code DSUG when you check out. This same code give you 35% off print
books too. Feel free to post this discount on your website, mailing
list, twitter account, or other places where your members gather. We've
also got a spiffy new PowerPoint or KeyNote slide with this information
I can send you.

I recently posted a question on O'Reilly Answers to ask for suggestions
on reaching out to new members. Make sure you add your opinion and let
me know when you post so I can give you a user group leader badge for
your profile.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zaci3jr3n8e2ftbjsn82njb3hrf3njpsvf2thiig

We're looking for a few user groups interested in having a booth at
Railsconf this year in Baltimore, MD. If you're interested, please drop
me a line. We've got a limited number of tables.

If you're thinking about learning a new technology, you should check out
the new Great Series of videos from O'Reilly. They have friendly
presentation style and the hands-on exercises let you learn as if you're
sitting next to a good friend, sharing programmer to programmer. Let me
know if you'd like to check one out.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhkej9asj32jp9kvnvg7lqbbibg1rfl96g4d24t8

Travel Alert: I'll be attending Macworld February 10 & 11. Please let me
know if you're going to be in town. I'd like to say hi.

I'm also headed to the O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing
Conference in New York February 21 -24 and I'm looking for evening
activities. Do you have a meeting or just want to get together?
Please pass along any part of this newsletter to your group via email or
your website and include the discount codes. We offer both a text and an
HTML version.

Thanks,

--Marsee Henon

P.S. Hope you've noticed our new $9.99 Ebook Deal of the Day on
oreilly.com and our twitter account at
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbep6bltvot29h4njgbc38qfdqt61qp8qcjgkblg

Register Now - Free Upcoming Webcasts

What people are saying about our webcasts: "Content superb of course. But
I also loved its "personality" - friendly, casual, expert, geeky:
perfect!" -- Heather Young

Our upcoming webcasts include:
-Tour the Top 10 Treats in Entity Framework 4
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg0e0j6unpbggrqt48f32mm2p7vgfoadrq6shgeg
-The Science of Social Media Marketing
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo5vfabf7q5urj2meo9nr0nfoddhcfn28jpjrvho

Check out our Webcast page for on-demand videos of past webcasts and
more upcoming live events!
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z73hh8308qfskr0gmm6b7rg561fnnni030bd4n00

Authors looking for Speaking Opportunites

Please send me an email if you're interested in any of the following
speakers and I'll forward it along:

-Joseph Adler, author of R in a Nutshell is available in Southern
California or the San Francisco Bay Area.

-Ed Wilson, author ofWindows PowerShell 2.0 Best Practices and Microsoft
Scripting Guy is available as a speaker in the Charlotte, NC region. He
is also available virtually for any user group world-wide. For more
information contact Ed directly at edwils (at) microsoft (dot) com

-Joan Preppernau, author of Windows 7 Step by Step is looking for
speaking opportunities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (FlowerMound) of
Texas and in the Northport, Alabama area. Topics include Microsoft
Office, Windows, certification, upgrading, and computing for children
and young people, particularly girls.

Conference User Group Discounts and Call for Participation
O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference
Be Part of the Publishing Evolution
February 22-24, 2010
New York, NY

If you're interesting in attending, use code "toc10usrg" when you
register, and receive 15% off the registration price.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5r29cea1f507ta3uqhrma0emehopeims2a2n020

O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference
Location Enabled
March 30 - April 1, 2010
San Jose, CA

If you're interesting in attending, use code "whr10usrg" when you
register, and receive 25% off the registration price.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4agmd74m0n1j78rj0vsmqs1amlea9gf72fa7su0

O'Reilly MySQL Conference & Expo
Information Unleashed
April 12-15, 2010
Santa Clara, CA

If you're interesting in attending, use code "mys10usrg" when you
register, and receive 20% off the registration price.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zokum9bn81su5trghq8n29dtmv5qqrh8j899o0n8

Last Chance--The Call for Participation is Now Open for OSCON!
Share how you're innovating with the Open Source Community. OSCON takes
place July 19-23, 2010 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland. Join
over 2,500 experts, visionaries, and hackers in the trenches to explore
all that open source has to offer. Be a part of it all and Submit your
Proposal today! CFP ends February 1 and early registration opens April
2010.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zibj2jbhr1jsv2r7263h8k16l720r34or9k8tbc8

RailsConf 2010 Call for Participation is now open!
Join us in Baltimore, MD on June 7-10, 2010 for largest official
conference dedicated to everything Rails. We're keeping the Call for
Participation open until March 17 to leave room for even more up-to-the
minute Rails topics to come through. Bring us your hardcore technical
know-how and submit your proposal today.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmhnr0beqaigpikekfb2qlmo7aghpqnk9l5e8e8o

The Call for Makers is Now Open for the 5th Annual Maker Faire
Bay Area 2010
Maker Faire is a two-day, family-friendly event that celebrates the
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) mindset. It's for creative, resourceful people of
all ages and backgrounds who like to tinker and love to make things. So
much to see, you will need 2 days to see it all!

We are now accepting entries for Maker Faire Bay Area, May 22nd and
23rd, 2010 at the San Mateo County Event Center. This year's focus is on
Young Makers. Join your fellow Makers for the most innovative, inspired
and best Maker Faire yet!
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcfa7h7c0eknpebv4ktqqkdkcl4drdrp8r6dgi4o

Discount offers from Safari Books Online &
The O'Reilly School of Technolgy
15% off Safari Books Online for 12 months for UG members
Safari Books Online provides online access to more than 8,500 books and
videos from the world's leading technology publishers, plus time- saving
tools that make it easy to find and organize the information you need,
when you need it, all for one low monthly price. Search the full content
of books and videos from O'Reilly Media, Addison- Wesley, Cisco Press,
Apress, Manning, John Wiley and Sons, Microsoft Press and dozens of
others, together on one easy-to-use online platform. Be the first to
learn about cutting-edge technologies with pre-published manuscripts.
Create your own digital library with favorites, saved searches,
bookmarks, highlights, notes, tags and more.

We're offering User Group members an exclusive 15% discount on monthly
subscriptions to Safari Books Online for 12 months.

Subscriptions must be purchased before March 31, 2010.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqs5sp0f4o6utondgcs6qd0l1p5fs66ei6aob1pg

-------------------------

O'Reilly School of Technology Courses: UG Members Receive
a 30% Discount

By enrolling in the O'Reilly School of Technology, you can stay
competitive in Information Technology without the high cost or huge time
commitment. Our courses work around YOUR schedule, not the other way
around. And within months, not only will you have the University of
Illinois Certificate to display on your resume, you'll also have a
portfolio of projects that are sure to impress in your interviews!

OST's full-price tuitions are already lower than comparable continuing
education or community college courses. However, as an O'Reilly User
Group member, you save an additional 30% on all the courses in the
following University of Illinois Certificate Series:

-New--Database Administration Certificate
-Java Programming
-PHP/SQL Programming
-Linux/Unix System Administration
-Web Programming
-Open Source Programming
-.NET Programming
-Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1" good for a 30% discount,
in Step #2 of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free
O'Reilly book and a 7-day money-back guarantee.

Register online:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zisn570h1k69hgfm6a55n8p25a5f4jhsebbg4n80

(This discount is not combinable with other offers.)

New Releases and Book Reviews Needed
We're always looking for book reviewers, especially for our new
releases. Titles we're excited about include Building iPhone Apps
with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, The New How, Windows PowerShell
2.0 Best Practices, and R in a Nutshell. If you'd like to write
a review of any of these books for Amazon, Slashdot, your favorite
book community site such as GoodReads, LibraryThing or Shelfari,
or your blog, please send an email to your user group leader with
the book title and where you'll review it.

Get 35% off from O'Reilly, Microsoft Press, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC
Publishing, Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin
books and 45% off ebooks you purchase directly from O'Reilly.
Just use code DSUG when ordering online or by phone 800-998-9938.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9oadf24ksdvl79n9dml86op9daiva0u3lbmhedo

Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zi4ls8t7klekr2u16cr9vetls9ufu4s2r8jhqgig

R in a Nutshell
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zk9qfo623333l25ovgsu1pgoadrg9dv1hp4kdm68

HTML & XHTML Pocket Reference, Fourth Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z705ogdfjst0f3dk7lo4biej5ehlkkkan0ulhso8

The New How
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze89t2r65aerfrni21i5lq84ir07qd705gknoqf0

CSS Cookbook, Third Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zec5keb9c02c0td317qg27ng4vk4hmtjfursfj40

Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 21
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkck6id22ps6avku02rtnmvh5n57dskp1ubunh5o

jQuery: Novice to Ninja (SitePoint)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp4n94ocv95tog61fb9e5gehc6ljq0lk9s26ivs8

Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac (TidBITS)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1hiubd0ra2gst9dmpkjpj8dhfhd1ck2n0cpkaag

Programming WCF Services: Rough Cuts Version, Third Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhnnqcchh15n7of84iffijcvjd0756i4ss9o9n88

Open Government
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp65vtl5egp6k36srnvc7l9gj6jsmnlr5hq2kp70

Java: The Good Parts: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8d1s59pc69f3mrd2nb7oakb6aurlltuafgd7ko8

Microsoft(R) Forefront(TM) Threat Management Gateway (TMG) Administrator
(Microsoft Press)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpt8ag8evps72lfaepkg4krhg41v3ejjog4k58go

Take Control of Easy Mac Backups (TidBITS)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z97n0uc2mpegoeqtgdd9qk42lv0uptbr9irce9do

Security on Rails (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgfpk28nuhhba5im51bqtknqjnf1shb37slqpb68

Practical Digital Photomicrography (Rocky Nook)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhscbrui5boemu87pacg4t4kd0seh1k3kdpkbjb8

Mastering the Nikon D5000 (Rocky Nook)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0atmngfb4scu3oo09phkddgpth80bbgjkedjkr0

Language Implementation Patterns (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqocvpq5p0ld6d1o263vnv9ktesshjp3lh1gdero

Three Songs, No Flash! (Rocky Nook)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z08ods6p8bhnmmv7h8nv37ei6ph4p8d433t5gal8

Domain-Driven Design Using Naked Objects (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7rjo1ij5mqijchj0276rrpebg3toav2bpd4jsrg

Programming Entity Framework Rough Cut, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjenodjlde8dh4j8s2fq6oh9t32mb1d33b6pckhg

Building the Realtime User Experience: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zt2nr2ud7r3np8ra316s6knoembek635q9bj5c6o

UG leaders only--Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their
web sites. If you send me your group's site with one or more banners,
I'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from
the following list:

The New How
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z899jkoam01hq68isdn8823uqg3tr6bl0btk7f5g

Confessions of a Public Speaker
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhm6r0cijhsmmnjifv9islab2blpggvv9etggdko

slide:ology
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z13isb8crr1ube0eolpq124quor86toffma88rfo

O'Reilly Answers
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zk0s43to8abdelansh18vbagrijfh0j5pebad8ag

Tools of Change for Publishing Conference
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf20tb6jnqistlu7dv144g1j9a0eij46pcvf59jo

Where 2.0 Conference
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zspao7apbn1kok7aor95e5f2l6led0kl6k3bt958

MySQL Conference & Expo 2010