[vox] Open Science Group @ UC Davis

Jason Moore moorepants at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:49:02 PST 2010

Hello,

We are writing you today because we know that you have some interest in the
movement called Open Science
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_research>and how the future of
science is going to depend on building community and
truly sharing knowledge. If you are not that familiar with open science
ideas, here are several components that you may relate to:

   - Open Access
Publishing<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access_%28publishing%29>:
   The idea that scientific articles should be free to the public and easily
   accessed.
   - *Open Tools*: The creation of tools that aren't hindered by proprietary
   ownership ideas. The Open
Source<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source>software movement is
the world's leader.
   - Open Data <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data>: The idea that data
   should be available free from copyrights and patents for the purposes of
   scientific sharing and reproducibility.
   - Open Notebook <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Notebook_Science>: A
   way to share and expose the notebook of the scientist, revealing details
   that aren't normally published so there is no "insider information."

We are interested in forming a group at UC Davis made up of students,
faculty and staff that is interested in these ideas. The group's purpose
will be to build a community for sharing knowledge and resources and to
bring together a unified voice on Open Science ideas on our campus. The
group would encompass three core ideas:

   - Community: To build a face-to-face community through
   meetings/gatherings and to build an online community using modern web tools.
   - Tools: Sharing of tools, software and expertise.
   - Lobby: To form a unified voice that can encourage and influence the
   University to adopt policy that favors open science initiatives.

As a first step we'd like to have a meeting to bring together people
familiar and new to open science ideas. We would like you to join our email
listserv to help brainstorm ideas and coordinating the logistics of the
first gathering.

Join the email list
<http://email.ucdavis.edu/eml/listprocFAQ.php#sub-ucd>by sending an
email to
*listproc at ucdavis.edu* with this single line in the body:

sub openscience FirstName LastName

Also check out (and help edit) our
webpage<http://openwetware.org/wiki/UC_Davis_Open_Science>on
openwetware.org.

We are looking forward to meeting you all and building an open science
community here in Davis and please share this email with others who you
think may be interested.

Sincerely,

Jason Moore
Carl Boettiger