[vox] Question about OSS downloads for a fee

Joseph Arruda joseph.arruda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 23:25:28 PST 2010

I guess I failed to convey the first point (although the insinuation was
that they were presenting Tuxpaint as a proprietary option, which is now
unclear -- haven't checked the URL).

So I could package Tuxpaint and sell it to any unwitting dweeb for a
quadrillion dollars a license.  While I would be asinine in doing so, and my
customers idiots, it is still legally ok assuming I meet the rest of the
provisions of the GPL.

As for your latter point, it might be useful to keep track of such events.

ja

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 03:37:07PM -0800, Tony Cratz wrote:
> > Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > > Someone just alerted me to Tux Paint's availability on
> > > an ecommerce site ("tradera.com", run by ebay).  I've seem
> > > it on ebay proper in the past, as well.
> >
> > As the copyright holder, issue a DCMA take down notice.
>
> Well, keep in mind that Tux Paint is GPL, so it's within their
> rights (based on the permissions explicitly granted to them
> by the license).  It's the same rights that allows Tux Paint
> to be bundled in Ubuntu & Debian, for example... hitting
> any one of these with a DCMA take-down notice would be
> contradictory to the license they've already been granted. :)
>
> My main question is whether or not I should bother putting
> some kind of official note about such situations on the
> Tux Paint website, and if any of the big OSS projects
> out there (like Gimp or OpenOffice) do the same -- or would
> I be a trend-setter? ;)
>
> Thanks, though,
>
> --
> -bill!