[vox] Question about OSS downloads for a fee

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Wed Feb 10 13:15:27 PST 2010

It's really awful that someone would rip off the clueless in a "get
rich quick" scheme like that. But I think the best defence may just be
getting more people aware of open source software.

I think one thing that would actually be worse than the current
situation is if the freeloaders "fork" TuxPaint and re-brand it with a
different name (also legal, though they'd have to make source
available).

So at this point, maybe the best defense for would-be buyers is the
fact that they can do a web search for TuxPaint and find out that it
is free. In Google results, the first words of the text after "Tux
Paint" are "free download" so I think anyone who does a search is
covered.