[vox] hosting and e commerce

Gandalf Parker gandalf at community.net
Tue Aug 17 21:22:42 PDT 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, timriley at appahost.com wrote:

>> I run a server out of my house for a dozen friend and family domains, 100
>> email addresses, hosting 100 multiplayer games and 2 online worlds.
>
> How did you get your static IP address? What kind of cable comes into
> your house? What are the bandwidth specifications? How much does
> it cost?

I got an 8 IP block (5 usable IPs) from PacBell South back when they first
got into internet. I also got reverse lookup (which they stopped giving
other later). I managed to grandfather thru all their name and ownership
changes until I actually think they forgot me.

But now Im the same setup thru Sonic.net

I was actually able to operate fine off of standard DSL. Even with 5
computers in the house. And me and my son both playing online worlds at
the same time.

But one of my sites started offering large high res maps for the Dominions
3 game so I boosted abit. Im now 3.0mbps-6.0mbps Download, 512kbps-768kbps
Upload. Its the upload speed that is most important for running a server.

Im sitting almost on a pop so I can actually continue boosting my speed
quite abit if I wanted to.

Gandalf  Parker
--
I used them, they used me