[vox] Android roundtable?

Michael Wenk mjwenk at ucdavis.edu
Sun Aug 1 23:23:30 PDT 2010

I would be interested in this, perhaps even a demo of android app
development if anyone's willing to do that.

Also, the plug on swype... I completely and totally agree.  I have not used
anything quite like it.  I think at some point, Swype will be out for
general release, at least I hope so.

Mike

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>wrote:

> I am not often in Davis these days, so I won't be likely to show up at a
> roundtable, but I want to put in a plug for Swype if you go touch screen
> only. I prefer it to a hardware keyboard. Look for it when you choose a
> phone since their website states they don't want to market it direct through
> the App store, and many manufacturers are bundling it.
>
> Other apps...
> K-9 Mail (POP and IMAP)
> Keepass Droid
> NewsRob
> Mypod (asterisk: it doesn't always respond well to user interaction... and
> the UI is a little hard to get used to)
>

> "Bill Kendrick" <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> >I recently got my 2nd Android-based phone (went from Google Ion aka
> T-Mobile MyTouch to the new MyTouch Slide), and I know a lot of folks out
> here are either (1) also using a variety of Android devices (I'm guessing
> most, if not all, are phones) or (2) interested in what all the buzz is
> about.
> >
> >From my own standpoint, I feel like I've only scraped the surface of what
> these things can do, and find that there's a lot of variety in terms of
> devices capabilities, OS versions, and carrier and/or device specific issues
> or pitfalls. (e.g., Google is rolling out a feature that will allow App
> purchases via carrier billing rather than Google Checkout + credit card...
> except T-Mob already does that... guess we made a lucky choice.)
> >
> >I wonder if others out here would be interested in participating in a
> roundtable so we can share what we've learned. Particularly interesting to
> me is which apps are good and trustable. (I find the market mostly "rough",
> with a few gems, and a lot of creepy stuff. Why does a tic-tac-toe game need
> access to my phone & contact info? :-P )
> >
> >Since we're booked thru early 2011, it wouldn't be for a while. Another
> alternative (esp since these devices are hard (I think!?) to throw onto a
> projector) would be to do a less formal one at one of our social gatherings.
> >
> >-bill!
> >(Sent from MyTouch Slide... would NOT have been possible w/o this keyboard
> >vox mailing list
> >vox at lists.lugod.org

> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
> Go...
>                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k

Michael Wenk
mjwenk at ucdavis.edu