[vox] Need to make educational Ubuntu build

Ryan Northrup northrupthebandgeek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:13:37 PDT 2010

Sorry for the delayed response...

Yeah, pretty big gamble.  I would check and see which software the preschool
already owns or plans to own, then test it on an Ubuntu computer with Wine
to determine what does and doesn't work.  Most preschool level software, in
my observation at least, should work by now on Wine.  It's just the really
graphically-intensive and DirectX-heavy stuff that gives a lot of issues.

Definitely keep:
GCompris (lots of games for small children)
GNUPaint or Tuxpaint (or both)
iTalc (similar to Faronics InSight)
All the other Tux-related programs (Tuxmath, Tuxtype, etc.)

Depending on how advanced and/or into specific subjects the kids are, you
may also want to install kstars, ktouch, kturtle, ktuberling, and/or
kwordquiz.  They work fine with GNOME if you don't want to clog up resources
with KDE (although I'm actually typing this email on a Kubuntu desktop with
480 MB RAM and a 2.4 GHz CPU; most educational computers that I've seen will
perform much better than my modest rig).

Good luck with the machine.  Hope all goes well, and again, sorry for the
late response.