[vox] Linux Equivalent to IPod?

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Fri Apr 16 19:03:21 PDT 2010

On 04/16/2010 12:28 PM, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I seem to recall a couple of years ago that there was a discussion here about
> Linux devices that were similar to IPods.  I didn't pay attention to it
> because I don't like walking around with ear phones.
>
> But I've recently jointed the Woodland YMCA gym, and when I'm on the exercise
> machines I don't like the music played over the load speaker.  I'm thinking
> about getting an IPod-like device and maybe listening to podcasts or
> something.
>
> I don't like the fact that (the last time I checked) you couldn't download
> from ITunes on Linux because they wouldn't give you Linux software.  I know a
> lot of Linux users like Apple, but I think Apple sometimes cooperates with
> Microsoft to suppress Linux.  So is that a non-Apple Linux device that's like
> an IPod?

Yeah, the apple situation is frustrating.  They make quite nice
hardware, charge a premium for it, then try to lock you into their whole
ecosystem.

So on one hand the ipod nano is pretty much unmatched for fit, finish,
size, and battery life.  On the other hand apple has taken to encrypting
their metadata database.  Of course so far the opensource drivers have
been updated and now it works fine.  I keep hoping that by buying apple
the competition will realize it's worth paying a designer a bit more and
to work on fit and finish a bit more.

I had an ipod video for 3-4 years before it died, never had a problem.

Seems like the justification for a dedicated music device is dropping by
the day, these days PDAs and cell phones often have a sound jack and
micro-sd slot.  Considering a cell phone any time soon?  I'd rather
carry one device instead of two.  I've used my nokia n800 (PDA/table)
that I bought for $200 or so and it was a good ebook reader and mp3
player (mostly audio books).  My current android g1 is a decent Mp3
player but annoyingly it requires either custom earphones or a $1
converter cable.  AFAIK almost all new android phones include a standard
audio jack.

I bought a sansa sense, it was terrible for audio books, but fine for
music.  The fit and finish were poor, there was a gap in my case, the
forums weren't particularly pleased with it either.