[vox] Ruby gives you sharp knives (fwd)

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sat Apr 10 14:50:56 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 01:33:36PM -0700, Harold Lee wrote:

> Then with Haskell's ability to figure out the data types and
> parameters from your code, you end up without the type declarations,
> like dynamic languages. Using the interactive Haskell ghci, it feels
> like I'm doing Lisp development because I'm able to build up global
> state variables and then build functions by trial and error.
>
> I'm hopeful that Haskell-like type systems will finally make it so
> that the static type system really gets out of your way except when
> the code really is broken.

It think that Domain Specific Languages will be the future, but I
admit I have never tried Rails. I will have to try it.

Haskell sounds interesting. And, it seems that this is what gives
Haskell its magic.
"What a type system gives us is abstraction"

I have seen a number of projects that incorporate ANTLR into them. In
your application, you say "create a table to store this data" and
through semantics, it knows how to do it depending what kind of
architecture you have.

Here is the page for ANTLR
http://www.antlr.org

JFLAP is another intersting tool that helps you develop formal language
theory skills, something with I could use some practice.
http://www.jflap.org/

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."
- Winston Churchill