[vox] Need help connecting to BerkeleyTIP's VOIP line!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Sep 21 14:41:23 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:14:31AM -0700, john_re wrote:

> Want to meet the LUGOD (UC Davis) members via VOIP?

I am able to connect to the 206-279-5528 ext 87654 conference call, using
two cellphones (and I can talk and hear on both of them).

However, when I try to connect to any of the SIP numbers I tried
(btip at 169.229.15.141, 5012345 at ekiga.net), I hear an automated message
tell me that there are 2 other people on the conference  (even when I'm
not dialed in via cellphones), but that's it.

If I AM dialed in via cellphone, I expect to hear myself through my
laptop when I dial in via VOIP.

Are the conf call number and the VOIP numbers actually connected?

I haven't even tried calling into VOIP on my laptop using the
cellmodem I've got (which will be the only internet I'll have at the
meeting).  And, sadly, unless someone's got an AMP they can lend me,
the solution I was trying (connect my cellphone's headset output to
a pair of desktop PC speakers) won't cut it, either.

Can someone else try connecting to the VOIP line?
(But please pop up into #berkeleytip on irc.freenode.net first,
since I need to get back to work, rather than debug VOIP issues.)