[vox] Dell Mini 9 back for just a bit at 240 bucks

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Sun Sep 13 13:04:03 PDT 2009

It's funny how the netbooks have spread. In my department, there's 3
faculty (including myself) and 1 student assistant with netbooks. It was
like a cascade. One person got one and everyone else said "that's neat"
and suddenly they started popping up like dandelions, heh.

Most of us have one of the Asus models, except for the department sys
admin. I've got the Asus 1000HD because at the time I needed it for a
conference last year, it was far cheaper than any of the SSD or Atom based
netbooks. I've managed to eek out 4 hours with Slackware 12.2. Once the
chaos at the start of the quarter settles down, I plan to try Slackware
13.0 and see if I can tweak more runtime out of it.