[vox] PC for sale / PC for free

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Sep 9 16:28:03 PDT 2009

I've got a pair of desktop PCs that I'm getting rid of.

For free:
* Dell Dimension L800r desktop PC
  + Specs:
    - Beige pop-open case
    - 800MHz PIII CPU
    - 512MB RAM  (two slots w/ 256MB each, IIRC)
    - 80GB HDD  (7200rpm WDC WD800JB)
        Mounted as / with Xubuntu 9.04 installed
    - NOTE: Does NOT include an optical drive! (I removed a busted CDRW drive)
    - Floppy drive
    - ??? graphics (built-in)
    - ??? sound (card)
    - Serial port
    - Parallel/printer port
    - 2x USB ports
    - PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports
    - ??? ethernet (card)
  + Includes:
    - IBM PS/2 keyboard
    - Power cable
    - Home-burned CDROM of Xubuntu 9.04 live/installer
    - NOTE: Does NOT include mouse, monitor, speakers, etc.
    - NOTE: Remember, it does NOT have an optical drive!

  Would be good as a server, a kid's system, a thin client,
  or a minimal desktop system (hence my choice of installing Xubuntu).

For sale:  $150 obo
* GQ Desktop PC  (was the $180 barebones Linspire box from Fry's)
  + Specs:
    - Black side-slides-open case
    - 1.5GHz Sempron 2200+ CPU
    - 1GB RAM  (actually, I think it's one slot w/ 256MB, the other with 1GB;
               bah, I forget... has at _least_ 1GB RAM :^) )
    - 120GB hard drive  (7200rpm WDC WD1200JB)
        Mounted as / with Kubuntu 9.04 installed
        Has some bad sectors
    - 320GB hard drive  (7200rpm WDC WD3200JB)
        Mounted as /bigdisk
        Has some bad sectors
    - Sony DVD R/W drive
    - Floppy drive
    - ??? graphics (built-in)
    - nVidia something? graphics  (AGP card)
    - ??? sound (built-in)
    - Serial port
    - Parallel/printer port
    - 4x USB ports
    - PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports
    - ??? ethernet (built-in)
    - ??? modem (card)
  + Includes:
    - Dell PS/2 keyboard
    - Power cable
    - Home-burned CDROM of Kubuntu 9.04 live/installer
    - NOTE: Does NOT include mouse, monitor, speakers, etc.
    - NOTE: I recommend upgrading to KDE 4.3 for a nicer experience:
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

Reply to me OFF-LIST [*] if you're interested!

[*] Remember, this list automagically sets Reply-to back to the list,
    since that's where we _usually_ want the conversation to remain...
    (And not everyone's cool enough to [know how to properly] use Mutt ;) )

Thanks!

Sent from my computer