[vox] Invitation to speak about BerkeleyTIP at LUGOD (Mon Sept 21st?)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Sep 8 16:26:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 12:16:33AM -0700, john_re wrote:
> 3) So, with the above in mind, if you put something in the talk
> announcement that would catch the eye of college students, educators,
> & also the regualr LUG members who might enjoy participating in
> helping college students, that would be a great way to educate them
> about the most important thing that i think btip is currently doing, &
> that might help that educational aspect of BTIP progress more rapidly. :)

For those out there who'd like to help advertise this month's meeting,
you can grab a PDF of a flyer here:

  http://lugod.org/documents/flyers/lugod-20090921-berkeleytip.pdf

Also, I've just put John into contact with Dr. Andy Jones, host of
the Poetry & Technology Hour on KDVS, to see if he'd like to interview
John about BerkeleyTIP prior to the LUGOD meeting later this month.

> ===== To LUGOD members:
> I'm sending this message to the LUGOD list vox in case anyone there
> has any suggestions for me about what they'd like to hear in my talk -
> so that I can perhaps be better prepared to talk about that.  Of
> course, wee can talk about technical issues in BTIP (use of voip,
> howto, etc) social aspects (how to reach out to LUGS, free sw, hw &
> culture groups, & anything else of interest.
>
> LUGODers - what aspects would you most like to hear about?

The above is certainly a good start.  If you can provide some slides,
I'd be happy to put them up on the projection screen and run through
them as you talked.

<snip>
> 3) Regarding technical issues for bringing an audio stream into the LUGOD meeting for my "virtual" talk:
<snip>

I'm not aware of network access (that we can use, at least) at Explorit.
However, I'm going to see if using a cellphone connected to some computer
speakers will suffice.  (It should be much better than speakerphone ;) )

I will bring my laptop, and Sprint cell modem, so we can chat with you
over IRC.  I doubt that'd be great for VOIP, though.

> The best thing I can suggest is have backup hw & communication
> systems & people.  We can use both cell phone, & VOIP.  Have two
> phones w/ separate communication companies, & have two laptops.  & get
> different people to help you with those. With those 4 options, if one
> isn't working, we can switch to an alternate.

Can someone assit? :)  I'll see if I can dig up a 3.5mm->2.5mm headphone
jack converter.  My cell (and my wife's) both have 2.5mm.  (Hers is a
multimedia phone, so the jack is builtin.  I'll need to dig up my
proprietary->headphone jack converter.)

<snip>
> 4) I'll announce this virtual LUGOD talk on the BTIP list, & invite
> all BTIP members to join on the conference.
<snip>

Great, thanks!  And if anyone wants to make it in person, Davis is
only about an hour's drive (or a relatively short Amtrak ride) away!