[vox] Special BTIP meeting Sept 21 7-9PM - Fwd: Linux Users' Group of Davis, September 21: "BerkeleyTIP"

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Sep 8 16:19:43 PDT 2009

Mark your calendar  -  BTIP will hold a special extra meeting Monday evening September 21 6-9PM Pacific time.  Global + FSCafe @ Berkeley, & also at LUGOD, Davis, California.  Everyone is invited to join in from home, or anyplace else.

Bill Kendrick, Leader? President? Founder? of LUGOD invited me to give a talk at the regular LUGOD meeting about BTIP.  I can't remember if he or I suggested that we do it virtually.  &, that's the current plan.

This came about because as one of the main things I want to do in year 2 is to get colleges involved in the global btip meetings.  LUGOD has a long existence, and they are right near UCDavis, & have often had installfests or meetings on campus.  Since they are the only UC campus other than Berkeley [there is KernelPanic in SanDiego?  But they dont meet at the campus, iirc.]  with an active local LUG, I wanted to invite them to have simultaneous local meetigs with BTIP.  I got ahold of Bill, & we discussed it, & he said he'd try to join last saturday's btip meeting. He got ekiga installed, did the loopback test, & joined the irc meeting, though he was too busy that day to get on voip with  BTIP.  So, he's making great progress.

So, I emailed LUGOD back & said I'd invite all the BTIP members to join my virtual talk with LUGOD, & so we can all get to meet & talk.  I suggested they might want to ask BTIP members about what special contributions various BTIP members make to helping run BTIP - web page, mail list, voip server, asterisk config, video findin g, etc.

This is great for BTIP also, cause it can be a kind of test of the "BTIP evening meetings" I'd like to try to get started sometime this year.  Maybe we could start around 6pm, & just chat, whatever, as usual, & get the meeting going, so we are ready at 7PM for the start of the LUGOD meeting.

Below is Bill's meeting announcement.