[vox] Moblin

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Fri Oct 2 21:43:32 PDT 2009

Michael,

I installed moblin and I am really impressed. I boosted my Mini 9 to 2
Gigs of RAM, and it flies. The whole interface is different. I installed
the Dell/Canonical custom spin. It is built for the Mini 10v, but the
from what I can see, the Mini 9 has the same specs. It's just smaller!
It must be the SSE3 instruction set that makes things work so well. Or,
maybe it is this extra Gig of RAM. I believe the intel 950 graphics uses
shared memory? Anyway, I am impressed! I guess that is contrary to what
you found?

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 06:31:15AM -0700, Michael Cheselka wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> I've used both and they're both great.  Moblin boots incredibly fast.
>
> They both suffer from an urge to strip things down.  I'm referring to
> special compilations of firefox that are stripped down because you
> "only" have 1GB of ram on a 1.6Ghz machine...  Please people!!!
> Give me the real firefox!!!!!  It's so stupid.  These are netbooks
> not palmtops running with 128MB of ram on a 400Mhz low electrical
> use cpus.
>
> Other than that complaint it's all good.  There's no harm in trying them
> both.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Cheselka
> 650-488-4820
>

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 23:45, Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried it? Or any comments on it? I see that Dell is selling
> > the Mini 10v with it.
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/news/canonical-dell-deliver-ubuntu-moblin-remix
> >
> > It appears that it should run on the Mini 9.
> >
> > brian
> > --
> > Brian Lavender
> > http://www.brie.com/brian/