[vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?

Michael Cheselka cheselka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 05:19:35 PST 2009

Hello Everyone,

Is Linux totally dead on the PS3?  Is a group trying to bring it to
the latest Slim PS3
or is that imposible?

I heard it never really had much impact on super computing but it was
cool that you could
build a cluster in your home with 3 PS3s and learn something about clusters.

Updating on Linux is easier for the user, way easier than Windows in
fact, just "yum update".
On Windows I have to check each add-on program manually.  The list is
really long.

The real problem is for companies like Skype, VMware, Google, etc.
They usually just offer
.deb, .rpm, and .tar.gz.  Multiply by 2 for 32 and 64.  I'm surprised
that many companies are
now offering Linux support and even sooner now than Windows.  64 bit
Adobe flash came out
sooner for Linux than Windows and so too Skype and Google Chrome.

Truly, it's asking a lot, though, to have so many packages.

Regards,
Michael Cheselka
650-488-4820