[vox] Fwd: Re: is the Linux desktop OS dead?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Nov 24 18:31:18 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:14:43PM -0800, Michael Cheselka wrote:
> The area Linux hasn't done well in is the Desktop, video games, and
> gaming consoles.

While it's not a major player by any means, there's the GamePark GP2X
handheld game system and the newer Wiz, which are Linux-based.
(Along with the still-vaporare Pandora, which is a community-driven
effort to build an 'improved GP2X'.)

Also keep in mind that Linux on the PS2 and PS3 have been used
extensively for scientific work.
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3 for example)

For the Wii, there's also GameCube Linux (the Wii is GC compatible)
(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_Linux ),
though I'm not sure how that's going.

(Sony was a bit friendly about running Linux on their gear than
Nintendo or Microsoft have been.)

I'm also fairly certain there have been arcade games that were
running on Linux, but I can't dig up any links to list facts,
so I'll have to consult my game developer friends to find out.
(I think a horseracing game a couple of friends worked on
was Linux-based.)

Oh!  And don't forget ebook readers!
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix