[vox] LUGOD meeting attendance and new-user signups

Eric Engelhard ericengelhard at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 12:40:29 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 06:09:23PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> For a long while, I've been curious to graph LUGOD attendance
> and LUGOD member signups.[*]  I did that this afternoon.
>
> The membership list ( http://www.lugod.org/members/ ) is driven
> by a little tab-delimited data file, so it was very trivial to
> figure out how many members signed up on different months.
>
>   http://lugod.org/documents/history/attendance-histogram-200911.pdf
>

> How I did it:

[deleted long method that could probably been accomplished in 7 lines
of R... kidding, Bill]

Cool graph. It is interesting to see the waxing and waning of new
memberships. I wonder how complicated the forces were: dotcom boom and
bust, rise of more user friendly distros, wider acceptance in the user
market, competition from new MS and Apple products... departure of
colorful characters (or at least a wider orbit), etc.