[vox] [fwd] VCF Archives Update: More Help Needed to Finish Move This Week

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed May 27 10:27:48 PDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Sellam Ismail <sellam at vintagetech.com> -----

Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:21:03 -0700
From: sellam at vintagetech.com (Sellam Ismail)
Subject: VCF Archives Update: More Help Needed to Finish Move This Week
To: bill at newbreedsoftware.com

Dear VCF Fans,

The move of the VCF Archives is grinding along, with about a third of
the library moved and maybe 1/8th of the hardware.  Things have been
slow going as the move has been ramping up.  Our efficiencies are
improving as more resources are added to the effort and broken tools
are repaired to be brought into the fold.  The move should go much
faster at this point, but it is doubtful whether I can get it all out
by Saturday, which is the target deadline.  That's why any help I can
get at this point is more critical than ever.

Most of the work remains in the boxing of artifacts and stacking of
pallets.  Now that there are pockets of space in the warehouse, more
room is available for packing and stacking, improving efficiency.  If
you can spare even one hour in the coming days or half a day this
weekend then that would be immense help for me.  As some of you know,
I broke my ankle in February and though I'm mostly recovered, my
progress is still hampered by a limp and pain ranging from minor to
moderate as the day drags on.  Fortunately, I consider this good
physical therapy for my ankle, but I lose about 20% efficiency in my
efforts.  Healthy ankles would improve the work output.

The charm of the new location (in Stockton) grows on me each day.
Built in the 1930s and once a Chrysler auto dealership (after the
first Depression but before the next) it has a character that simply
cannot be matched by modern construction.  Whereas before I had
planned to be there for maybe 6 months (until commercial real estate
collapses in Livermore, resulting in cheaper space) I might decide
that, after moving 200 tons of computer archive, and with so much
possibility present in the new warehouse, perhaps a longer occupancy
(despite the 40 minute drive) would be preferable.

At any rate, any and all help this week and weekend would be greatly
appreciated.  Labor will be converted to VIP treatment once the new
place is set up and a party ensues ito celebrate another ass-kicker of
a move.

My warmest regards,

Sellam Ismail
Schlepper with a Limp