[vox] Help - Installfest info, & legal, text examples?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu May 21 21:26:47 PDT 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:59:08PM -0700, john_re wrote:
>> Do you know how that legal release form got created?  Did someone there
>> consult a lawyer? If yes, what lawyer? If no, how did it get created?
>
> I don't know the full details.  The doc looks like I was put on the website
> back in July 2001.  We were holding Installfests with RoseLUG and SacLUG
> at that time.  (I'm looking at meeting minutes from back then.)
>
> I'm not sure who wrote it, and I don't _recall_ a lawyer being involved.
> I'm not sure if it was something we came up with, or based off of something
> else.  I think Pete Salzman was running Installfests back then...?
>
> I've honestly never been that involved in IFs, since I'm just not that
> good with PCs or tweaking Linux settings to make stuff work, if it doesn't
> Just Work Out Of The Box. ;)
>
> Hopefully someone else who was helping with IFs way back when can help.
>

>> Any other tips for howto go about understanding the issues, & getting a
>> proper legal release created? - btw, that form looks good to me, but
>> ianal, so i'm in no position to evaluate its appropriateness.
>
> Find a lawyer who'd work pro-bono? ;)  Maybe someone from EFF, or SPI, or...?

Speaking of which should we change the "Have you read the release form"
to "I have read and agree to the release form"

I don't remember why Chris just stopped caring if we had a signed copy
and simply asked people if they had read it. But it would be good to
make the check box essentially a signature of agreement, so we don't
have to worry about printing, signing and keeping the papers.

Alex