[vox] Some bylaws musings

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed May 20 09:37:01 PDT 2009

We've received an offer from a relatively new member (who attends
meetings and socials on a regular basis, despite coming from
Sacramento area) to take over the Treasurer position.  (We'd need to
hold a vote, but I don't forsee any opposition, considering how
elections have been going the past few years :^P )

Anyway, I pointed them to the club's bylaws, and glanced at them myself.
While the last update was somewhat recent (October 2008, when we changed
elections to be yearly, rather than twice-yearly ('semi-annual?')), I
noticed a few places where things could be tweaked or trimmed.

As I compose this email, I'm going to run down the bylaws and point out
what I think could be changed.  We can discuss here, but I'll likely
bring it to a vote at an upcoming meeting.  (Which reminds me: we still
need a venue for June and/or beyond!)

So, from the top (of: http://lugod.org/objectives/bylaws.html )

Article I:

Sect 1.i.e.:  I believe Henry quietly got rid of our PO Box, and at some
  point listed LUGOD's postal address as his office address.
  So I'm not sure what to say here...  "Go get any LUGOD mail from Henry"???

Sect 1.ii.a:  I've been doing a lot of the stuff here, as Public Relations
  officer.

Sect 1.iii.a: Financial report has always been on the meeting agenda,
  but almost never happens.  Once the presentation ends and speaker Q&A is
  over with, we just clean up and leave.  So perhaps move this to before the
  talk.

Sect 1.iii.c: See 1.i.e, re: PO Box key. :)

Sect 1.iv: I'm always bad about doing this myself, and not letting typescript
  do it. Sorry Nick. I guess I got used to having to do it, in the past. ;)

Sect 3.ii: I'm not sure how active LERT is. We may want to just discontinue
  this, and remove this appointed position.

Article III:

Sect. 3.i:  We have not posted agendas to vox-announce in a long, long time.
  It is listed on the meeting page on the website, and that URL is posted
  to vox-announce.  I think that's sufficient.

Sect. 3.ii:  Contradicts Art. 1 Sect. 1.iii.a.   Here, it says that financial
  report should take place before guest speaker.

Active IV:

We don't really have committees these days, like we did 10 years ago.
I'm thinking we could drop this whole article.

Article V:

Striking committees (Art 4 above) would affect this a little.

Article VII:

Again, (as with Art. I, Sect 3.ii), we may want to discontinue LERT,
so this would go away.

Comments?

Sent from my computer