[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Apr. 1 meeting: Digital Textbook Design, Licensing, and Consequences [Mtn View]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Mar 30 17:41:53 PDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday:

WHEN:

  Wednesday, April 1, 2009 (no joke!)
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Digital Textbook Design, Licensing, and Consequences

  PRESENTED BY:
    Ed Cherlin

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Earth Treasury and partners are starting to create digital
    textbooks.  In the past, most such efforts have either been PDFs or
    software of very limited utility.  How can we create more powerful
    learning materials on the base of software in Sugar on the OLPC XO
    and other Linux platforms?  What licenses should we use? What is the
    impact of Freely licensed learning materials?  Who is writing these
    digital textbooks?   (See:  http://earthtreasury.org/)

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Edward Mokurai Cherlin has been a mathematician and computer
    scientist, a Peace Corps volunteer in South Korea, a Buddhist monk,
    a high-tech market analyst, a tech writer, a Free Software
    development manager, and a serial NGO founder.  His two most recent
    NGOs are the Open Voting Consortium (Founding Member), and Earth
    Treasury (Founder).  Earth Treasury has set itself the task of
    creating an informed network of networks including a billion
    children, along with their teachers, family, and friends, for
    economic growth, social development, and world domination of Free
    Software.

    Further information:
    http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----