[vox] [fwd] Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--July

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 17 12:50:11 PDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Marsee Henon -----

View this information as HTML in your browser, click here:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zetais60jthd339tm6651uke6ot6ard8jbm82q88

Hi there,

We're updating our UG newsletter so it's easier to find
the info you need to keep in touch with O'Reilly. Comments,
suggestions, and feedback are always welcome.

Please pass along any part of this newsletter to your group via email or
your website and include the discount codes. We offer both a text and an HTML version.

Thanks

--Marsee Henon

P.S. If you're a twitter user, please follow our special O'Reilly User
Group account:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4kpol9h15nlc99i0aipcom9kl7favmc2k32k3u0

OSCON (O'Reilly Open Source Convention) is approaching quickly in San Jose,
CA on July 20-24. If you're coming, please let me know so I can keep an
eye out for you during the week. We'd also love to have you come by the
O'Reilly booth in the expo hall on Wednesday, July 22, at 6pm to meet our
authors.

If you're undecided about attending, you can still register with code
"os09usrg" to receive 20% off.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjnas1cgkiqh4mvg73jmho180ntkp2blh0epi320

Or register for an Expo Pass and attend any of these free
events including:

Birds of a Feather
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zabskdlom6e6re3n99ro4liib492efoqqp9i6760

Products and Services sessions
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ziigfvpfboldi917lsmtacojigroh5h1adf9vgrg

OSCamp
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo3m255umhqn890eod82v7r3tsh81gt3db9n4vd0

For a list of all free events, go to:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6ugsu70gfdql142dmi078tbnc364bg9q8a0ckng

The Community Leadership Summit starts this weekend before OSCON (July
18-19) and is designed for community managers, leaders, and organizers
of all kinds (that includes all user group leaders!) at the San Jose
McEnery Convention Center. The summit is free but requires
pre-registration. Even if you can't make the conference, please join
us for this special event.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsaf5tof6mkeadalqnne0jpmn8cnei13orrptkrg

New to the training lineup is our InsideMobile Conference--Learn the ins
and outs of mobile programming, design and business for iPhone,
Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Android, and Palm webOS. July 26 & 27 in San
Jose, CA. Register Now and Save $150!
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zol9dqttc6gl5tt2u3kaiatbal7oqohqdff2d510

O'Reilly Media is conducting research about a technical certification
program and we want your opinion. Please take our 20 question survey to
help us understand what you want in a certification program from
O'Reilly--what topics, what motivates you, and what you'd expect to get
out of it. Complete the survey and you'll be entered in a random drawing
for a chance to win $200 of O'Reilly ebooks. Thank you for your help!
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztuhifq2ts6isk67rv8oq3dnl5lc888oo4t0i490

Have you tried one of our free webcasts? We offer many different topics
every week and you can always go back and watch the previous ones.
Upcoming webcasts include "iPhone Forensics: Live Recovery of an iPhone
3G[s]" and "Hands-on: Step-by-step MySQL Clustering Setup," Past topics
that are well worth a watch include "10 Ways to Wreck Your Database,"
"Radical Career Success in a Down Economy," and "Around the world in 32
minutes with The Geek Atlas." You can find them all at:
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zceej8g2m21igvpvgslgpsge2mmomas25a3f5940

We're always looking for book reviewers, especially on our new releases.
New books we're excited about include the The Geek Atlas, The New
Community Rules, Best iPhone Apps, Erlang Programming, and Beautiful
Architecture. If you'd like to write a review of any of these books for
Amazon, Slashdot, or your blog, please send an email to your user group
leader with the book title and where you'll review it.

UG leaders only--Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book
We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their
web sites. If you send me your group's site with one or more banners,
I'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from
the following list:

The Art Of Community
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdimkk0bj536qo1olnpkd1ivldgra83qmj2pcr68

OSCON Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7mfmg93j1n0k461chv97ig19m542t7acghcneug

O'Reilly School of Technology Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zn1cn6ddfjouaajhh8psjsfe90nibmq0glj1tceo

Customizable O'Reilly Book Widgets
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv6qefaj9ghhafcjvisf8fei4o76k3l5f945gu1g

35% off User Group Discount Banners
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo3qqfobt0je1dn6at73vn2td7lf9gik1fftt1dg

New Releases

Get 35% off from O'Reilly, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC Publishing,
Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin books and ebooks
you purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering
online or by phone 800-998-9938.
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z07a65bmlgn0u3umalattbhvted6o7q03vcjv54g

Digital Architectural Photography
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvi632v2aolb2gbec3gng7efleq49pmonnbvoqc0

Build Your Own Database Driven Web Site Using PHP & MySQL, 4th Edition
(SitePoint)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqjl8sjtpfsmp9pcn02thjuducldl38ofcghs2bo

Complete Web Monitoring
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z45lpcgvuhj8258eegnmnraeornoigsohn1pnoig

The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks, Third Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0dtmpt4jgsrhoboma26oh9d52hvmvnfor35rpg0

Data Mashups in R
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zh8l6ikre7q4fdf88jnn30643jkarc0qjgdvfotg

Erlang Programming
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf6oknvjtrc9mo5lmkprje5qe260j6v7bghnq8fo

Even Faster Web Sites
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zh1nt8itm4ofnau4pol6jf79vqmsp9ppleqe2n2o

Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zupjv06usr2sdv0jme10sk4lc920h5tthn50suto

Head First PMP: Rough Cuts Version, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhd3a8iu55sflvqld28vhok8p1k4788jpi0b1p3o

iPhone Game Development: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv91cdsamgvi6bnicgisnc38ca68jgb3qhj7feoo

Java Message Service, Second Edition
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zifc2sde1mrncqnvelb5jiru4da069sculn31bng

Land the Tech Job You Love (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0fkeuos4f213rfk2jrrdnr7btjhlv46rg5sj4f0

Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs1394sabirplt11l1mnjcpkk0mcnmtqqtbg7rkg

Mercurial: The Definitive Guide
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhmmr61niauleg100a0t58c9rdu1v2dckqo2co50

Modular Java (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zltn0vgukhapsqh8547ema2k77lshdkvdofank3o

My New iPhone (No Starch)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z04k0t1dn2lkgjm35tferl0t0h936m5cjapef40o

The Myths of Security
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2kje6bb20dku9f395hn3mq8m7d1igs5rpmuese0

Natural Language Processing with Python
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zou0jecqvs217jv2d8o7sra4r31vj2au5osnjslg

The New Community Rules
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs0dm9s4drp1mrsdoqrah1a0jhgl52qtrc3stv3g

Online Marketing Inside Out (SitePoint)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbg9afhluvit34d08n4ealamnu5vdjreplf5jqs8

Programming Cocoa with Ruby
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj9qi56hg70djuk8ca2o8c4fg6j3nu1ke8opt2ho

Programming Scala (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvqio8du1bgpipl150961ujbqdl6uh42i6p2dqt8

Programming the Semantic Web
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znnqcshmnqmgocq8utafj1q656sq5r5546vgrv1o

Ruby Best Practices
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zh6cln8l1bpk8t9t9p7h60m4nnoshs5q2h31mpe8

Take Control of Safari 4 (TidBITS)
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp4m1pekn2mu6u06n5o3jo21lmaupkki9o7l97i0

VMware Cookbook: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjvnb37qbtu9vb72rf3lt6m9io9ihtj0tqfv89tg

Windows 7: Up and Running: Rough Cuts Version
http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zatsugad96b42hmpeaa0j977o23i5ikgks47vjgo

Until next time--

Marsee Henon

O'Reilly