[vox] Good printer for Ubuntu ?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jan 27 01:39:01 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:43:17PM -0800, Chris wrote:
>    My Epson printer ink jet printer is not working.  So, I am considering
>    buying a black and white laser printer.  I want to spend at most $400.00
>    and I am not too concerned about speed.

I got a Brother HL-2170W network printer. Plugged it into my network,
gave it an IP address (using its web interface, once my router told me
what it picked p over DHCP).  Asked KDE to add a printer, and it actually
saw it on the network.  'twas that easy.

OTOH my dad ended up getting a Canon Pixma photo printer (with scanner
capabilities).  It's USB, and the Internet tells me it doesn't play nice
with Linux.  However, it supports "PictBridge," so I'm able to plug my
digital camera (also Canon) and print photos without ever hooking it up
to a computer.  Pretty sweet.  If I need to print an existing photo, I can
just drop it on the camera's SD card, I think.

(Somehow, though, I doubt I can use it to scan and have it store the
scans back onto the camera. ;) )