[vox] [Semi-OT] Coworking

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Mon Jan 26 19:05:24 PST 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> So I just discovered the concept of 'co-working'.  It's kind of like
> a co-op run office space for folks like me (people who telecommute and
> don't have a home office, or need to get out of the house to focus).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coworking
>
> http://coworking.pbwiki.com/
>
> It was described to me as:
>
>   "Basically, a number of people get together to share a productive yet
>   fun workspace. The "coworkers" need not actually work for the same
>   entities or on the same projects, though sharing an office can
>   obviously facilitate collaboration."
>
> How much does office space in Davis cost? :)  Any folks out here interested
> in looking into doing something like this in Davis?  (The closest I've
> found at the aforementioned wiki is in Midtown Sac.)

That's interesting.  You could also share business expenses I suppose; FAX
machines, etc.  In a way I think that working with office mates who are *not*
in the same profession might be stimulating.  I'd probably get distracted;
leave my work and bother others by asking what they were doing.  So you
wouldn't want me there.  Midtown by itself would be distracting.

Bob