[vox] cell-phone network data cards and linux?

Wes Hardaker wjhns156 at hardakers.net
Fri Jan 2 07:24:37 PST 2009

WH> Anyone used cellphone network data cards with linux successfully?  I'd
WH> actually like to do it for a month "occasionally" (which really means
WH> buying an expensive card because I don't want the 2-year contract).  Are
WH> there issues?  Does it generally work?  I've seen web-references to the
WH> AT&T cards working under linux so I *think* it looks ok...

FYI, I ended up tanking the idea for my out-of-network-coverage
Christmas break.  I woould have gladly paid the monthly cost and bought
the card, since I hope to do this on a regular basis.

*but*, one of the problems is that the charge to activate a new card for
AT&T is $30/a-time.  Thus, if I want to do it regularly it requires a
frequent extra $30 to activate the number each time.  In the end I just
used my cell phone a whole bunch to read mail, etc.

I wanted to try bluetooth-teathering my treo, but bluetooth on F10 is
seriously broken at the moment.  Sigh.