[vox] Amarok 2.x - should I upgrade?

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Mon Feb 2 15:05:59 PST 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> I love Amarok.  I'm still using 1.4 (from KDE 3.5 days), since that's
> what's packaged in Kubuntu 8.10.  Amarok 2.x is for KDE 4, and I'm using
> and enjoying KDE 4.2 on my laptop now.

I use it a lot, but I don't love it.  It's not as dependable as XMMS.  A
problem I have is that as apt upgrades packages it seems to upgrade some of
the packages Amarok needs (for mp3's or radio streams), but not others.  So
the dependencies get out of whack.  Amarok seems very finicky to me.  In the
old days it crashed a lot, but it is stable now.

And while we're on my favorite topic; KDE 4.x, I can't resist this.  Here's
another problem in 4.1.  Unlike Windows, Gnome, and KDE 3.5; in KDE 4.1 I
cannot bring up a web page in Firefox, click on File->Save Page As->Desktop,
and have an icon on the desktop that will bring up that particular web page.

To me, KDE 4.x values eye candy over functionality.

Bob