[vox] Why Ubuntu, Kubuntu?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 22 11:41:00 PDT 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:30:33AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> I will drop that drive back into my 1420n and see what happens. Should I
>> have installed KUbuntu? What is the easiest way to get KDE?
>
> My Dell laptop came with Ubuntu (and hence Gnome), so I installed
> KDE with some 'aptitutde install' incantations.  Google's your friend.
> Kubuntu.org probably is, too.  :)
>
> (I don't want to guess, and get you stuck with a half-working desktop :^D )
>
> -bill!

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
or
apt-get install kde-core

Depending on if you want the whole kaboodle kubuntu or just to add kde
as a window manager.

Personally of the 3, XFCE is my favorite, I just couldn't get the
multi-monitor support for the binary nvidia working right. Maybe 9.04
will have that fixed. (I had to disable compiz for Impress presentations
to work, so the desktop effects are useless to me, maybe that'll be
fixed too)

Alex