[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Oct. 1 meeting: Perl Scripting Tips and Techniques [Mtn View]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Sep 30 15:21:56 PDT 2008

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:02:31 -0700
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Oct. 1 meeting: Perl Scripting Tips and
	Techniques

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday,
(tomorrow):

WHEN:

  Wednesday, October 1, 2008
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Perl Scripting Tips and Techniques

  PRESENTED BY:
    Bill Ward

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    If you find yourself performing rote tasks on a large number of
    files, consider writing a script to do your work for you. Whether
    you're updating a directory full of symbolic links, or making bulk
    edits to a group of text files, or any other tedious manual task,
    there is a myriad of opportunities on Linux for automation via
    scripting in languages such as Perl. In this talk, Bill will review
    some useful tips and basic Perl scripting techniques for automating
    tasks under Linux, revealing key aspects of the Perl language and
    features such as regular expressions, along the way. Learn how to
    identify and install Perl modules, including using your Debian or
    RPM packaging system to keep them up to date. No prior Perl
    knowledge is required.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Bill Ward has been programming in Perl since 1993 in the system
    administration and Web development fields. He has been teaching Perl
    since the late 1990s, first at De Anza College and later as his own
    company, Bay View Training (http://www.bayview.com/). He also works
    at Oracle, as a software architect in the Infrastructure Systems
    Development group. He was the founder of PenLUG in 2003. His company
    is offering Perl training classes open to the public in October in
    Sunnyvale, CA, and in November in Plano, TX, and he is available
    for private Perl coaching or on-site training classes.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----