[vox] [FS] Post-move purging

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 12 11:40:23 PDT 2008

Wes Hardaker wrote:

> MC> Sorry everyone... Gmail's "Reply" and "Reply to all" do the same
> MC> thing :-( .
>
> It's not gmail.  The vox list sets the reply-to header to the list
> itself, which basically makes it impossible for compliant email readers
> to respond to only the person who sent the note you're replying to.  IE,
> no matter what button you push you send it to everyone.
>
> I'll stick by my stance that reply-to headers are evil (because of
> issues like this when they catch unsuspecting people).

I'm quite in disagreement. Without the reply set to the list my normal
procedure would be reply all, which doesn't remove the original sender's
info and requires me to do it. Otherwise I end up with two copies of a
lot of messages when I'm involved in a thread. That's significantly more
clicking and work to clean up then to remember to reply to just the
author of an email.

That doesn't even cover how many list responses I've had to double send
because I hit reply instead of reply all on a list without header
changing. Then when I don't see my reply on the list, realize ah crap I
didn't reply all, or when I have finished editing realize oh wait I need
to put the list address in and then have to wade through I find the
right list address to send to not the bounce which always seems to come
up with my auto-fill address book.

The only reasonable solution I can think of that might make everyone
happy is the introduction of a 3rd header and a new function "Reply to
list", with the new head being "list-reply" or something like that. But
since that hasn't been added to the mailing standards I'm not going to
hold my breath.

Oh well,
Alex