[vox] Lugod Website Proposal

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Sep 7 23:41:26 PDT 2008

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 08:35:19PM -0700, Joseph arruda wrote:
>> So basically you want to convert to something like Joomla or Drupal.
>>

> Honestly, I'd be more for _adding_ some wiki facilities or somesuch,
> rather than switching to a whole 'nother platform.
>
> We've got going on 10 years of categorized and archive content, and
> (I think) a nice looking site (despite it's shameful[*] lack of CSS).
> I'd rather the site not turn into another one of those LUG CMSes.
>
> I'm also happy to provide web access (assuming Rod's ok with it) to
> more people than just myself.  In the past, while one of us
> (first Marianne Waage, then I) have always been 'webmaster,' there were other
> folks (Henry House, Pete Salzman, maybe others) who were able to go in and
> maintain pages about their various projects/responsibilities (LERT, treasury,
> etc.).
>
> Perhaps we can somehow turn a few pages, or parts of pages, into some kind
> of Wiki somehow...
>
> [*] These days.  I think back when CSS first came around, it required
>     JavaScript in the browser, or somesuch. Laaame.
>
> -bill!

If we css standardize, xhtml, sec508 etc the current site it might be
fairly feasible to use a CMS for just some pages and have it look
seemless. That would get us the edit box where we want it and leave the
rest of the site the way it has been.

I've got nothing against the current setup, except the lack of
accessibility. As my php skills are quite lacking and some sort of easy
syntax always makes for quicker edits, something more wiki like would be
my preference.

Basically I see the alternative solution is to outsource collaborative
pages to the daviswiki and reference them where relevant as I did with
the installfest info a while back. Although I don't think the Lugod site
points to it at all.

http://daviswiki.org/Installfest

Alex

PS: I will volunteer my skills in the css dept.