[vox] Laptop recommendation

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed May 28 17:59:01 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 01:17:40PM -0700, jim wrote:

> that's an important point, thank you. now, how to
> counter that worry-point?
>    the ZaReason machines currently are from Asus,
> does that help reassure? the installation of
> Ubuntu may or may not require some tricks, don't
> know. almost certainly a matter of modules/device
> drivers and related firmware and libs. if that is
> resolved as any reasonably experienced person can
> redo it, does that help reassure?

Well, it would.  But I was also in a hurry.
The Dell purchase was made about 24hrs ago. :)

>    my interest is in understanding how to promote
> ZaReason and other small, linux-only vendors to be
> successful.
>    said differently, the worry about a small vs a
> large company is statistically fair but on a case-
> by-case basis inherently unfair to the small guys.
> having a good counter to that worry is important.

Indeed!  Of course, I'm also new at this.
I've only bought one new PC, a "Great Quality" Linux box
from Fry's for $180 -- $315 after I had them install 1GB more
RAM, and I paid for taxes.  The rest were used.
This is my first laptop purchase.  Laptops worry me,
because they're seem to be more "black box" (i.e., cannot see
and fix inside) compared to desktop PCs.  They're also
often fussier with Linux.  (Related issue, I'm sure ;) )

Yergh... I just woke up from a horrible nap. :(