[vox] Laptop recommendation

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 25 14:15:58 PDT 2008

When I thought I was going to buy a new laptop, I had settled on the HP
DV9700t.

After buying Dell exclusively for some years, I found that the HP had
way more bang for the buck
(17" screen, faster HD and CPU) than the Dell.

Instead I beefed up my old Dell Inspiron 8500 with 2 GB of RAM, to make
it last a couple more
years.

As far as ease of installation, I installed Ubuntu Linux 7.04 on said
8500 with no problems.  It even
configured the wireless card; no doubt using ndiswrapper, because Dell
used a wireless card with a
very incompatible chipset at the time.  But everything worked fine on
first reboot.

Jim