[vox] Installing Linux in a file inside a Windows parition (Was Re: Need to use a computer running Linux for 1-2 hours)

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Tue May 13 11:35:25 PDT 2008

I hear virtualbox is good
http://www.virtualbox.org/

I haven't run it yet, but one user on SacLUG claims it runs much faster
than VMWare. The manual appears clearly written. You should be able to
run it on any machine with a recent processor.

I have been running qemu, which has worked great too. I just ordered a
Dell laptop (Inspiron 1420N) with the Vanderpool(VT) Core 2 Duo T7500
processor with Ubuntu preinstalled! On the virtualbox website, they say
that virtualbox is faster than hardware virtualization. I remember someone
saying that Intel uses a lot of microcode to implement virtualization and
that in some cases a thousand instructions may be executed to implement
one opcode. But RISC design often uses smaller instructions so that they
can execute faster. I think hardware virtualization is the future
though. HP already sells servers with Xen hypervisor preinstalled.

brian

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:28:26AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 09:35:09PM -0700, Gabriel G. Rosa wrote:
> > I'd recommend saving media, and going with QEMU[1] or Virtualbox[2]
> > (both of which run on windows) and installing a throw-away distribution[3]
>
> I hear that Ubuntu's installer now comes with a feature that lets you use
> some space in your Windows partition as a 'host' for your Linux installation,
> therefore removing the need to repartition the drive, or install a second
> drive.  That's pretty hot.
>
> Anyone got a link to the technology behind that? (I'm guessing it's not
> Ubuntu-specific, but just something they happen to be using and touting.)
>
> --
> -bill!
> bill at newbreedsoftware.com
> http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/