No subject

Fri Jul 18 11:17:07 PDT 2008

PRESENTED BY:
Adam L. Beberg, Stanford, University

 TOPIC SUMMARY:
Technological and sociological issues on the scale of a 325k volunteer node
system like Folding at home will be described. The upcoming infrastructure to
use millions of nodes for integrated storage like Storage at home on Cosm will
be discussed. We will learn about issues in the design and tools for handling
kilo-core systems (SMP, Cell, GPU and beyond) without going insane while
maintaining portability and developing future-proof libraries.

   ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Adam L. Beberg has been building distributed systems since 1990. He founded
Mithral Communications & Design in 1995, which is the home of the Cosm
distributed computing tools. In 1997 he was a founder and president of
distributed.net until 1999, during which RC5 was cracked once and DES was
cracked twice - the second time in 22 hours with the additional help of the
EFF's Deep Crack. In 1999 he met Vijay Pande and collaborated on
Folding at home, leading to the use of Cosm as the network library in
Folding at home. He was also honored as one of MIT Technology Review's TR100 top
young innovators of 1999. He has worked and spoken extensively in the areas
of distributed computing, storage, and computer security. With a B.S. in
Computer Engineering from Illinois Institute of Technology, he has been at
Stanford since 2004 working on a PhD in Vijay Pande's lab working on next
generation distributed computing methodologies, after which he will find a
nice day job in academia and start his epic quest for tenure.

 NIFTY OF THE MONTH:
None this month.

 LOCATION:

   Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
   VCAFE Facility
   350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
   Mountain View, CA 94043

   http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

   webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

 MEETING REFRESHMENTS:

None planned for this meeting.

 POST-MEETING GATHERING:

   restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
   selection at the meeting.

 We look forward to seeing you there!

--
Mark Weisler   PGP: 0x68E462B6  http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/