[vox] Debian Testing vs. Kubuntu

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jul 28 17:55:48 PDT 2008

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 09:24:28AM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 24 July 2008, Joseph Arruda wrote:
>>
>>> No.
>>>

>> Hey, where have you been?
>>
>> We miss your humor.
>>
>> Bob
>>
> I think it is as simple as whether or not you like graphics because
> ubuntu is basically debian+graphics.

This is oversimplification. Ubuntu relies on Debian, but Ubuntu has
packages and processes that are outside the Debian domain, but are not
simply "graphics". An example is the ufw
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall) which was built for Ubuntu, but
does not come with Debian. The same goes for the integration of
AppArmor, which Ubuntu does, but Debian does not, at least, not out of
the box.

Such decisions are typically made at UDS - Ubuntu Developer Summit every
six months and then worked on. Of course, a good bit of it will find its
way back into Debian, but not developed for/on Debian originally. The
contribution arrow goes both ways.

Of course, if you want no "graphics" you can simply install Ubuntu cli
and you'll get a cli only environment.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.