[vox] Debian Testing vs. Kubuntu

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Thu Jul 24 16:44:33 PDT 2008

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following.  If one was just
> using a computer for listening to music, web browsing, email and word
> processing, is there any reason for choosing Debian testing over Kubuntu or
> Ubuntu, or for choosing Ubuntu over Debian testing.

	As you should know, Debian testing may not be stable compare to
	the other OS.

	If all you are doing is listening, E-mail, browsing and Open
	Office then it really comes down to what program you use to
	do the above.

	Debian used it's version of Firefox and Thunderbird which are
	Iceweasel and Icedove. Seeing the base code is the same there
	is little difference between how they work.

	As for the K* programs and standards Linux programs most
	people like the standard programs (unless you are a die
	hard KDE user).

	As for Ubuntu, my ex-girlfriend use to use Kubuntu and has
	switch to using standard Ubuntu and claims that Ubuntu is
	'girl proof'. Meaning that it is hard for her to have problems
	with it where Kubuntu she was always having issues. YMMV.

							Tony