[vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Tue Dec 30 09:56:31 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 05:01:16AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:23:13AM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > Well, it just seems that having a block device rather than a network
> > attached storage could be a big bonus.
>
> That right there sounds a bit too complicated.  I've seen some NAS devices
> that do various protocols, including allowing iTunes-aware applications
> to stream music and providing basic website hosting over HTTP.
> Something like that, while perhaps less flexible down the road, seems to
> be exactly the kind of consumer-level prodcut I'm seeking. ;)

It's like a remote attached hard drive.  If you can get a NAS that can do
iscsi, I definitely recommend it. I don't think there are any cheap ones
at the moment though. :( Another interesting option is Ata over Ethernet
(AOE).

> PS - I'm awaiting the arrival of a Roku Netflix Player, yet another simple
> to use device for the house.  Apparently runs Linux, too.
> ( http://www.linux.com/feature/142729 )

Interesting that it runs linux. What do you think about the DRM? It
almost sounds like you have jumped to the dark side?

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/