[vox] [fwd] LinuxDevices Newsletter for Dec. 3, 2008

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Dec 16 17:29:46 PST 2008

I got my weekly(?) newsletter from LinuxDevices.com a few weeks back,
and, while I haven't had time to actually read all of the interesting
articles, there were just SO many that sounded so interesting that I
decided I needed to pass it along to 'vox'.  Enjoy! :)

----- Forwarded message from "LinuxDevices.com" -----

* * * * * WELCOME TO THE LINUXDEVICES WEEKLY NEWSLETTER * * * * *
                         Dec. 3, 2008

       VirtualLogix(TM) Carrier Grade Virtualization(TM)
Trusted Real-Time Virtualization(TM) enabling system designers to
consolidate hardware and securely integrate new technologies while
adding low cost virtualization-based higher availability capabilities.
Download your free whitepaper today.
http://web.eweek.com/t?ctl=1552D:BC4ACF63C9930028F3220B5902762E8C&

Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back, relax...  Due to the Thanksgiving
holiday last week, we have an over-stuffed newsletter!

_____________________ * * * TOP STORIES * * * ____________________

PORTING ANDROID TO A NEW DEVICE
This paper describes the how Android 1.0 was first ported to Nokia's
N810 Internet tablet. A fascinating, well-told tale in its own right, it
may also help others to gauge the time and resources that may be
required for similar porting projects.
http://web.eweek.com/t?ctl=1552E:BC4ACF63C9930028F3220B5902762E8C&

LINUX PORTED TO IPHONE
iPhone-Dev.org has demonstrated a basic Linux 2.6 kernel and OpeniBoot
bootloader for first- and second-generation Apple iPhones, as well as
the first-generation Touch. The port lacks support for touchscreen,
audio, WiFi, or cellular communications, but future plans call for an
Android port.
http://web.eweek.com/t?ctl=1552F:BC4ACF63C9930028F3220B5902762E8C&

ANDROID PHONE LAUNCHES IN CHINA
TechFaith Wireless and Qigi Future Technology announced a smartphone
that runs the Google Android mobile Linux stack. The i6-Goal is only the
second Android phone to launch, and reportedly includes a 2.8-inch
touchscreen, quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, and a
two-megapixel camera.
http://web.eweek.com/t?ctl=15530:BC4ACF63C9930028F3220B5902762E8C&

NOKIA ALLUDES TO LINUX PHONE PLANS
Nokia may move to Linux for some of its higher end smartphones, a senior
official was quoted as saying in a Reuters article. Nokia VP Ukko
Lappalainen was quoted as saying, "In the longer perspective, Linux will
become a serious alternative for our high-end phones."
http://web.eweek.com/t?ctl=15531:BC4ACF63C9930028F3220B5902762E8C&

MAPPING THE MOBILE OPEN SOURCE ECOSYSTEM