[vox] Graduate degree at UCD...?

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Thu Apr 17 13:03:04 PDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Kevin Schultz wrote:

> Hi Justin, Don,
>
> I'm curious too--if you are able would you please let me know the difficulty
> of getting accepted? Does one need top grades to get in? How much do they
> weigh the GRE score?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Peace

Well, I don't meet your criteria for a current graduate student (I
finished my CS PhD at Davis back in 2006), but I can answer this question
by referring you to the person who would know the answers. You should
contact the graduate coordinator to find out such statistics. Here's the
link to the contact info:

http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/people/admin/index.html#stoller

When I was a student, the general GRE counted more than the subject GRE
and the grades had to be decent (mostly A's and B's), but not "top" (no
need for straight A's like Berkeley). I don't know how much that has
changed in two years though. The coordinator should be able to advise you
on the current situation.

If you haven't already, read the documents about the program on the
website. The Admissions FAQ is a good place to start (and it also has some
average statistics for the GREs and GPA):

http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/graduate/recruit/faqs.html

Also look at the degree requirements to be sure that the program matches
the education you are looking for:

http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/graduate/grad-req.html

I'd also recommend looking now into the research that is being done to be
sure the area you are interested in is really being covered by the campus.
More importantly, make sure the faculty member who focuses on that area
has a reputation for graduating students in a timely fashion. My degree
took a bit longer to complete because my interests fell slightly out of
the realm of knowledge of most of the faculty except one who is not known
for graduating students quickly. You can try perusing the CS research
website (http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/research/index.html), but really you'll
better learn about the research interests by talking to the faculty and
current students.

Hope this helps,
Melissa