[vox] Software Freedom Day results

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Sep 16 12:05:58 PDT 2007

LUGOD had a successful demo booth at yesterday's Farmers Market,
as part of Software Freedom Day.  Nick Schmalenberger and Grace brought a
table and LUGOD's demo computer, and they, Alex Mandel and Henry House set
up the booth.  I joined them to help staff it later.

Alex burned some giveaway CDs of Ubuntu and Knoppix.  Together with those,
we had some leftover Knoppix, FreeSMUG and Helix (and Ubuntu?) discs.
There were flyers for this Monday's KDRT presentation and October's
Google visit, as well as some leftover flyers on OSS (with example
software), OSS and Linux in Schools, and "Who is LUGOD?", which we handed
out a lot of.

At one point, we spoke to each of the folks running for Davis School Board
who had booths at the Market, and told them about us, OSS and Linux,
and encouraged them to look into it.

Valley Oaks Elementary School on E 8th is apparently being closed due to low
enrollment, and there's a group trying to turn it into a charter 'tech'
school -- apparently, each student would get a laptop.  We encouraged
them to look into OSS and Linux as well, and they seemed quite excited
to meet us, and want to start a dialog.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who made this possible!  I'll post photos
from Alex and I when I get the chance...

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/